View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Legend23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ever since I was young, I've heard that hockey has a "small, but loyal fanbase." And its very true.

To be honest, there are very few casual hockey fans. The percentage of die-hards vs. casual fans has to be split more in hockey than any other sport, despite having a lower cumulative fanbase.

Ill never stop watching hockey, ever. This lockout could go on for 5 years and I'd be right at my TV watching when the puck is dropped again. The league and the players union know what a loyal fanbase they have at their disposal and it has allowed them to treat us like crap for several years now.

Very few of us will stop following hockey. The key is to strangle off the revenue streams these guys have come to count on over the years - those include arena attendance, concessions, merchandise, etc. You can still be a die-hard and go without those things for a while -- its time these guys arguing over our money get taught a lesson.
I agree with everything you said and I like you will be back watching hockey the minute the puck is dropped. As far as choking off revenue streams I think you are more likely to see that in merchandise sales and not attendance (at least in the major cities). Even with the chance the economy could go back into a recession I would bet that no matter how many current fans refuse to pay to go to games the Rangers will be sold old every game and will have folks waiting for the tickets. If this was 7 years ago when they stunk then maybe you would have a case. But anyone who doesn't think the Rangers will be sold out indefinitely in my opinion is misinformed. 99% of hockey fans will not be complaining about this a month after the season begins (if that ever happens) and will be fully engaged.