Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
No you're not. I've read your posts all thread and there is no other 'truth' than Fedorov was elite throughout his entire career and is one of the very best to have ever played the game.

In Forsberg's first 9 seasons;
- he finished top-20 in scoring 7 times and top-10 x 5 times.
- he finished top-6 in ppg 7 times.
- he finished top-11 for the Selke 5 times.
Wow, look at you slide goal posts to shoehorn Forsberg into a top 6, and a top 11... in order to disprove the consistency of Fedorov... ? Good job, lol.

But back up. I never said he was "elite" for his entire career, and I've provided quotes, not opinion, highlighting him as one of the best players ever. You're going to have to do better, and my expectations are low.

Quote:
After Fedorov's short peak of elite offensive play during the same 3 full seasons that Coffey was on the team, he couldn't crack the top-25 in any offensive category for 6 years in the regular season. He was 26-31 years old, he should have been in his prime.
'91/92: Runner up to Carboneau for the Selke. ("elite" defense)
'92/93: 4th in Selke ("elite" defense)
'93/94: Hart and Selke win ("elite" everything)
'94/95: 4th in Selke ("elite" defense) (affected in other voting by each conference submitting 3 finalists, even if the 4th from one conference may have "deserved" consideration more than the 3rd from the other)
'95/96: 5th in Hart + Selke win ("elite" everything), and votes for the post season all-star teams in all 3 forward positions.
'96/97: 9th in Selke

Now true, there's a holdout year, followed by two "lackluster" seasons in which he was "only" a 30 goal threat. But then guess what?

'00/01: Hart, Selke, Lady Byng, and post-season all-star votes.
'01/02: Selke votes
'02/03: Hart, Selke, Lady Byng, and post-season all-star votes
'03/04: Selke and post-season all-star votes.

He basically appeared in award voting for his entire career leading up to the '04/05 lockout, after which:

'06/07: Selke votes
'07/08: Selke votes
'08/09: Last season of his career.

So what's that, 4 seasons out of his 18 year career that he failed to receive post season award recognition? Put another way, he received award/all-star recognition in 14 of his 18 seasons. Build me a list of those who can make similar claims, and let's see how big it gets. And let's not forget, this is the same guy who is top 10 in scoring for the entire period spanned by his career ('90/91 -> '08/09), and has more playoff points in a Red Wings jersey than Steve Yzerman since he first appeared for them in '90/91, so we're not leaning on the defense side of the Selke for our definition of elite, either.

Quote:
Your proof that he was an elite player in his last 12 seasons was that the 1 goal he scored in 14 playoff games (after an 11 goal regular season) was an overtime winner in a Game 7?

Wow!

Carkner, Campoli, Lee, Schubert, Norton and Phillips played both forward and defense for Ottawa over the past 15 years alone. Not to mention that Alfredsson led the team to 1st, 2nd and 4th overall PP finishes as the full time PPQB (IIRC, the team has never finished above 9th or 10th otherwise). He would have been 31st, 22nd and 18th in scoring as a D-man based on his PP points alone in those seasons.

Now multiply stories like that by another 28 teams and dozens of other players.

Yes, trivial!
Surely, surely, you can do better than this. :