View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
If someone who understands LINEST in Excel and/or linear regression can help me with this, that would be great:

I cannot get coefficients to generate for a particular model using LINEST. I have successfully used LINEST for other models, so it's likely a problem with the model (and its variables). The model is as follows:

one group of X variables are discrete variables for season (let's say there are 32 seasons, so it's either 0 or 1 for each possible season... it will only have a value of 1 for 1/32 of those for each player-season)

the next group of X variables are discrete variables for the player's age (if we use age ranges of 18-40, then the value is either 0 or 1 for each of 23 possible ages... and again it will only have a value of 1 for 1/23 of those for each player-season)

the next group of X variables are discrete and are for the player himself (the value is either 0 or 1 for each of the Q players in the study... and again will only have a value of 1 for 1/Q of those for each player-season)

there are possible variables that I would like to add, but if I do, will wait until I am able to successfully generate coefficients for the model as it already stands

I stopped ~ a dozen players with a total of ~170 player-seasons. I thought since the degrees of freedom are df = N - k - 1 = 170 - (32 + 23 + 12) - 1 = 170- 67 - 1 = 102, that coefficients should generate, but I'm obviously missing something and my linear regression knowledge is relatively basic and quite rusty.

Can anyone tell me why the coefficients won't generate? I don't want to put substantial time into this if it's not going to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote