View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Is anybody else beginning to become bothered by Igor Larionov's constant comparison of Nail to Bure? Prior to Monday's HHOF induction ceremony, Larionov spoke with TSN's That's Hockey. When asked if any player of Pavel's caliber and excitement would ever appear in the league again, his words were something to this effect: "Nail Yakupov. Players like that don't come around every year."

It makes sense to compare them in terms of style, I suppose, but I'm sure we can all agree after watching Nail that there are things left to be desired. I'll be watching Nail tonight at the Pacific Coliseum, where Pavel would dominate regularly. I'm hoping Nail will bring the crowd to its feet, but he hasn't done that at all thus far, at least whenever I've had the chance to witness his game.

Is Larionov putting too much pressure on Nail, and perhaps raising fans' expectations too high? It's one thing to say Nail models his game around Pavel's and is influenced by it, but to say he will be like Pavel is something entirely different.
I don't remember it word for word, but IIRC, he said something about Nail still being young and it not being fair to compare the 2

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote