View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBroons View Post
So you are saying that if we didn't play the best team, we would have had a chance to win the cup. ROTFL.

How about if we didn't play Montreal in the 70s, we would have won more cups.

For the record, Sinden was going to draft Portland Dman Keith Brown in the first round of 1979. Chicago took him with the previous pick, so that was out. Maybe Sinden ONLY THEN insisted that Bourque was the next best player, but Bourque surely wasn't his first choice that day. The source also said on draft morning that the Bs would take Keith Crowder, which they did. My source was none other than the legendary Globe writer Fran Rosa.

Sinden made his reputation on several great trades, Park, Middleton, McNabb, and Neely among them. He also had several disastrous trades like Iafrate and Stevens.

Trading for often-injured players is extremely risky, as was drafting Kluzak instead of Brian Bellows. Kluzak had severly injured a knee his last season in juniors and Sinden drafted him anyway. Why? Because his agent was demanding too much money of course. There's a door in my old house in Framingham that probably still bears the scars of the beating it took when Sinden announced Kluzak was his choice. Overall, his draft record was not good. Any reasonable person would have drafted future 50-goal scorer Bellows.

The trades he failed to make were the big ones that could have put the team over the top. He seemed to not want to take the risk, despite the fact that the Espo trade was a huge risk and it paid off.
I'll always claim that Stephane Quintal over Joe Sakic was Sinden's biggest 1st round blunder at the draft table.

The Bruins had only 29 year old Linseman as a point-producing center on the roster in the summer of 1987 and they had already drafted a defenseman at #3 with their other first round pick (Glen Wesley). Janney was waiting in the wings as a senior at BC but they still needed another center anyway.

I will conceed that Quintal was a solid NHLer and a decent pick relative to everything else from #4 on other than Sakic. But I think that was a huge error as Sakic was seen as 1A for centers after Turgeon.

I think it's one of only two times where I may have been upset with a Bruins high draft choice as it was occuring. The other was Hamill over Couture. I was fine with the Kluzak risk as the 2nd injury is what seemed to do him in.
Otherwise he was a prototypical #2 (see 1988 playoffs).

Brad Palmer also helped sink that deal with his inability to reach his 1981 playoff form again.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote