View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 03:51 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As I said, it appears you have very low standards.
I do not have low standards. I believe that the players were guaranteed 57% of hockey-related-revenue, that is all. That means that when one player is underpaid, another is overpaid, and vice versa.

The "standards" for how much hockey players should be paid are determined by fans like you and I, when we pay a lot of money for tickets, and when we watch the cable shows, and when we increase beer spending at bars showing the games. If you think hockey players are overpaid, then you have the power to spend less on hockey.

It's the fans that determine how much players should be paid. Why do you think dominant MLB players get paid more than dominant NHL players? Because the former brings in more money from fans. It has nothing to do with the former being superior athletes, they might even be inferior athletes.

Quote:
Again, this doesn't matter. Renegotiating a CBA does not guarantee a lockout.
Could be very likely, but doesn't guarantee it. It will also depend on the final look of this current CBA, and how the league progresses over the years until the next CBA.
Not getting treatment when you have metastatic cancer doesn't guarantee you're going to die, it merely makes it more likely.

Jumping out the window from a 2-story building doesn't guarantee you're ending up a cripple, some people somehow end up ok, but it does make it a lot more likely.

Driving drunk on a regular basis doesn't guarantee you're going to hurt someone, but it does make it a lot more likely.

And so on. You can engage in all the sophistry you want about "guarantees", but the real world is run on probabilities, all of it.

Quote:
So stop assuming that whatever happens, if this goes in favor of the NHL, then there's automatically a lockout.
I have never assumed this. What I'm assuming is that a CBA which solves none of the league's problems, such as the Bettman-Jacobs plan, is more likely to lead to renewed labour strife.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-14-2012 at 03:59 PM.