View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
There is nothing to say that a sports league is guaranteed to survive forever. Even the most successful league in the world, the English Premier League, has only been in existence since 1992 when most of the big revenue teams left the league they were in before to form a new league and take advantage of possible TV revenue.

One year from now the NHL may not exist. By next September it is possible the multiple teams will be bankrupt, strapped for cash surviving teams may be forced to stop supporting their AHL teams, lay off scouts and coaches.

Right now this league is on the road to oblivion brought about by the shortsightedness of both sides but particularly the owners who brought this upon themselves. Perhaps at that point a new league will be born.

I have been a hockey junkie for over 50 years. Though I love other sports and teams, the Rangers are my passion. I though I would pass the time this fall and winter by watching the occasional KHL game and going to Danbury to watch the Federal League Danbury Whalers. I'm having difficulty even working up a desire to do that. I do check in on the boards every day and spend a few minutes while in the car listening to the Sirius/XM hockey channel but I am even losing the motivation to do that.

Our sport is in danger of dying. If this season is lost, professional hockey at the highest level may not survive. It's sad enough to reduce me to tears. When is this madness going to end? Doesn't Bettman and his band of narrow-minded fools understand what they are doing?