View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Like I mentioned before, 33 points placed Thornton out of the top 10 at that point in scoring. So many Power Plays early on that season made for a temporary scoring bonanza.

Seriously, you're a Bruins fan. Did the Joe Thornton that was winning the Art Ross Trophy with San Jose that year look anything like the half-hearted Joe in Boston? I think being the only player ever to win a Hart Trophy in a year he was traded says more about Thornton than O'Connell.
No, not a Bruins fan in particular at all. What I am saying is that who trades their franchise player away after 23 games into the season? You don't think that was a little premature? I mean, Thornton had a 101 point season in 2003 at a time when he joined the NHL's elite. You'd have to think you're best player is going to come around eventually. That was just poor planning by O'Connell and impatience at its finest. Thornton made him look like a fool which is why the Bruins were so embarassed that they HAD to fire the guy after that stunt. Maybe the trade energized him, who knows, but this was already a player that proved he was capable of scoring 100+ points in a season.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote