View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Actually, the most overlooked part of Thornton's '05-06 season is this:

He played 23/26 games in Boston, then played all 58 in San Jose. His teams combined for 84 games while he was playing for them, so he had two extra games available, but missed 3 games and so finished with 81 GP. His missing 3 games were not a result of the trade. No one ever mentions this fact when discussing the close race that year, and they almost never discuss the fact that it was an Olympic year when Thornton led Canada to an early exit while Jagr played through a head injury and two extra games (while Joe rested). These were both advantages Thornton had that season.

How can 33 points in 23 games be pro-rated to 118, when he already had missed 3 games at the time of the trade? It pro-rates to 113 if you assumed he would play every remaining game for Boston... and 104 if he maintained the same % of games played for Boston.
Well, I mean whatever, this is hardly here nor there if he beats Jagr for the Art Ross or not. They had two points that seperated them. If Thornton gets 120 points to Jagr's 123 would it have been a crime for him to win the Hart? No. These were the two best players in the game in 2006 by a noticeable margin, it was a coin flip. I don't know if the Olympics has any bearing on this, nor do I think it should. Iginla played well in the 2002 Olympics and Theodore was probably sitting on a beach. That being said Theodore is still the deserving Hart winner at that time with or without the extra rest.

The second paragraph I think you are over analyzing things a bit here. What he was on pace for in Boston certainly isn't guaranteed anything. Either way Thornton easily puts up 100 points on Boston, but I'm more interested in what he actually did do rather than what he "woulda, coulda, shoulda" done had he stayed in Boston, which still no one can come close to knowing.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote