View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Bourque and Plekanec shouldnt play together.
Plekanec is suited to play a shutdown role, which is absolutely not the strongest part of Bourque's game.
Gionta is also a question mark at this stage, and at 33, he shouldnt be relied on either, regarding the most difficult matchups. And since the only other options (for wingers) are Pacioretty and Cole, you have no choice but to split them up.

Having a good exploitation line is fine and cool, but when you dont have any true trio ready to matchup against the best players of the opponent, its one step forwards and two step backs. As for gionta, I agree you shouldnt rely on him as being the primary guy, which is why it makes perfect sense for him to be on the 2nd unit.

There is a lot of good reasons if none of the teams are using such a setup when they're short on good wingers.
He's a guy who can play both ends and put up 70 points. Bourque can be defensive liability, but so was kovalev, and that didnt prevent plekanec from being effective. I'm not saying bourque is kovalev, just saying that neither of them are known for defensive traits.

If you can get 20 goals from gionta and bourque, something that both guys are very capable of, then you have a very successful 2nd line. Plekanec can be the playmaker to make that happen.

The bigger concerns for this club lie in the bottom 6, where the team traded skill for sandpaper. I dont see many goals coming from there, even by bottom 6 standards.

Last edited by Hackett: 11-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote