Thread: HHoF Poll
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Easy to tell who those 6 are...IMO Kariya has a pretty strong case. Why not include him?...Not saying he's as easy a choice as the other 6, but IMO he is clear HHOF caliber in the sense that there was a good stretch where he was among the best of the best in the league. Is there a forward like that who's not in the HHOF? Also, throw him some bonus points for his Asian heritage and Lady Byngs.
I don't know here. Those Lady Byngs are nice, and really it is a nice award and if you looked back at it you'd be surprised just how many tough players or players we consider to be clutch performers that actually won it. But I don't think it's a deal breaker either. His Asian heritage shouldn't be a deal breaker either. He was born in British Columbia. Kariya was Canadian and in reality we can go through hoards of Hall of Famers where their parents/grandparents weren't born in Canada. Grant Fuhr got in because he was good enough to get in. I suspect Jarome Iginla will face the same prospect (although there might be a few who disagree). If his heritage is brought up as an argument for Kariya's induction then that means we're running out of things for him.

I too was impressed with his reign near the top of the NHL. But he also had opportunities to thrive and didn't. The holdout in 1997-'98, not playing in the 1996 World Cup and 1998 Olympics because of injury. The woeful playoff record which is probably as bas as Dionne's if not worse. The opportunity to ride a hot goalie in 2003 only to surprisingly not be a huge factor in the postseason. Then the quick fall from grace at a rather young age. I don't know, the deeper I look into his career the harder I see him in there eventually.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote