View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
I didn't present any solution. And I think how good the Leaf fans are is worthy of praise. They're in my opinion the best fans in hockey. They're very very loyal, and willing to show it in many ways. They are not the cause of how badly the Leafs have done, for so many years.

Correlation does not always equal causation. There is a correlation between how good the fans are and how this allows the top Leafs brass to not have enough urgency to properly improve the team, but those fans are not the cause.

Note too I didn't specifically insult the coach or GM of the Leafs, because they're not the top brass of the Leafs. I'm pretty sure Brian Burke for example knows he might be fired pretty soon if he doesn't improve things. That implies he has bosses who can do that, right? They're the ones I'm talking about.

I just look at the results. The Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967. They haven't been in the playoffs even in what - seven years?

To me, that's terrible. And depressing.

Here's the weird thing too. It's possible to not have the urgency I'm talking about, and still luck out if the people you hire to do things - like the coach and GM - do the right things themselves.

It's plain a lot of Leaf fans think Burke for example is on the right track, despite his distinct lack of success on the ice.

But whether that's true or not, all that money coming in means his bosses can relax, take it easy, and say "Let's give him another year." And not go all out to find someone better than him.

In pretty much any other city, he'd have been fired by now.
It's one thing to hire the right people and its another thing to listen to them and empower them to do their jobs.

Luckily, MLSE already fired Peddie. Unforunately it takes years to recover from the damage that him and the board put on this organization.

The Leafs have only really made moves in the right direction the last few seasons.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 11-14-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote