View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
On tsn.ca there is a video called "Creating a Contender" where JJ's agent is interviewed, and he pretty much flat out says that JJ wont sign an extension.
To paraphrase him, he said that JJ will either have a very good year and could sign a contract making him the highest paid pitcher ever, or if he doesn't have an amazing year he'll still get a multi-year deal for a good amount of money.

He also says how AA doesn't like to spend a lot of money on pitchers, so that could mean JJ signs elsewhere next year.

And he also mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised if AA flips one of the big 3 Toronto acquired to help fill another position/replenish the farm.
See I interpreted that comment (extension wise) differently. It was more of a "he won't sign an extension now, rather he will wait until the offseason and look at his options and choose the best one for him".

I don't think he or his agent would be smart to make decisions on his future in this offseason. I love Johnson and his ability, but he has had trouble with injuries, and just this last year his FB velocity dropped around 1.5MPH.

I think we'll have a good shot at re-signing him. It's not like we haven't handed out big contracts in the past. I think for Johnson he doesn't want to potentially not cash in (ie if he goes back to 2010 form) by signing an under market value extension now. Works for us too.