View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
  #13
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Which is why I hope this case is the tip of the iceberg for bringing down the whole NCAA sham.

The thought of offering potential pros the prospect of getting education to go along with participating in a competitive league is nice, but we all know what happens - athletes are encouraged to go for easier, less time-intensive degrees; get all kinds of tutoring to save them studying time; occasionally get preferential treatment to ensure passes; and so on. Bottom line is that college/programs obviously get them to spend as little time on education as possible and most athletes feel the same way.

But it's a bit ridiculous that for football and basketball players they have to go through a college system if they want to focus on going pro. At least in hockey there are junior leagues as alternatives so players who actually want an education can go to college and be student athletes.
What you just described 1% of NCAA Student-Athletes (at most). There's about 50 schools in the country where that sort of thing happens. Most of those are schools in the SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten, Big East, ACC and Big XII. The other 300 schools might have, on average, ONE KID per year who even has a shot to go pro.

Football, basketball (no minor leagues, but NBA guys can come right out of high school), soccer (really rare outside MLS), and hockey and baseball (with minor leagues, but kids can go out of high school) are FIVE out of 88 Division I sports. Three-quarters of NCAA Division I athletes play sports where there's no pro league to go to.

All told, about 0.5% of NCAA Division I student-athletes actually do play professionally in any sport. The other 99.5% get higher grades than the average college student, because they have higher eligibility requirements; and graduate at a higher rate than the average college student.

So while you're correct in saying the idiot football player at Ohio State who TWEETED that he was at OSU to play football and shouldn't have to go to class doesn't belong in the NCAA's system of giving educational opportunities for athletes; But that kid is the extreme >1% that doesn't belong.

Even in a place like Miami football in the 80s. Which was corrupt as all hell, and the epitome of "big sports problems" in the NCAA, about 10% of the team played professionally, 30% would have gone to college on their own dimes without football, 30% got off the streets and out of gang life for four years before going back to it; 30% got off the streets and out of gang life and never went back.

(BTW - The 4% of sports programs that make money -- SOME Football and MBB programs -- fund the other 96% of the teams).

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote