View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
When we speak, we know what we intend to say but once those words leave our mouth, the listener is free to interpret those words in a way other than how you intended them to be understood. Did Benn say anything wrong? Not in the least. Is it an overreaction to be offended by his comment? Absolutely. But people tend to overreact to things they are sensitive about. That's the nature of the beast though. Saying it was a poor choice of words (at least to me) suggests that there was a better way of putting an opinion across (especially when you're aware of how hockey sensitive Canadian fans are) but his words aren't so confusing that they mask the intentions behind it. Like I said before, he's not insulting or offending Canadian hockey fans but knowing how people tend to react, I'm not surprised that some people may have taken it the wrong way. It's unfortunate and rather silly especially if people are aware that he is a shy guy and still find fault in his comments.

In my previous post, I had said that growing up in Canada, being around the national passion for hockey probably influenced his own desire to play hockey and now he's saying he would never want to play in the country where it all started for him. That's a very twisted way of looking at his comments and supposedly the article didn't highlight the fact the kid is shy and that's why he wouldn't want to be under the media scrutiny of a Canadian team. I'm willing to bet that especially without that context, many people read his comments and used that twisted interpretation. Again, it's unfortunate but it is what it is.
In summary, many Canadians get ******** when a player, especially a Canadian player, prefers to live and play south of the border. As a Stars fan I couldn't be happier he said what he did. Players who crave the limelight typically aren't tenured Dallas Stars.

All in all, a relatively uneducated human said something that's been over-analyzed to the point of proving his point. I, for one, am utterly shocked that he didn't consult his thesaurus before opening his mouth.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote