View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Langdon Alger*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
The problem with this approach is that the "real" deadline is when it becomes impractical to have a partial season. We're still a long ways before reaching that point.

Any attempts by the NHL to create an artificial deadline will be justifiably recognized as such by the PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Again, nobody including the NHLPA is going to take a December 15 deadline seriously when the '95 deadline was mid-January basically, and the '04 drop dead date was mid-February. I'd like to see the NHL try it just to see Fehr pontificate about artificial deadlines one more time
The thing with that is that once the NHL says there's to be no season, there's to be no season. Bettman would simply tell the arenas that there wouldn't be any games this year and to fill the dates as need be; following that, there wouldn't be enough room on or flexibility in the arenas' schedules to fit any sort of season in.

I don't expect to hear about any official meetings until the next batch of games are cancelled. We'll likely see negotiations start again a few days after that, as has been the norm so far. I would think both sides know the drop-dead date is coming and are meeting internally to figure out which parts of their platforms are must-haves and which ones can be given up as concessions.