View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Well I'm not really defending them, I'm just saying what they do, and honestly I don't care what they do. Also, I think winning has a lot more to do with building a fan base than trust, and they've won, and they still have no fans. The Rays have had winning teams, and they still have no fans. I think it has a lot to do with the area, and I think that management knows it, and does what they do to make money from it.

Look at the Braves attendance. They have won a ton in the past 20 years, and they've had a good team the past several, yet their attendance is mediocre at best. I'm not sure the South East is really an MLB area right now, for whatever reason.
As a baseball fan, Loria is exactly the kind of owner you don't want to see. You're right, I follow the Phillies and so the Marlins struggling is good for my team, but overall, it's terrible for the sport to have franchises run into the ground. Using your Braves analogy, Atlanta has had little trouble marrying up profitability with competitiveness in spite of attendance deficiencies. The reality is that any new franchise has got to build from the ground up and the ownership of that team needs to expect that there will be financial loses in the build-up phase. Its part of the investment costs in my opinion.

In Florida, they have undermined their own build up at every avenue. First Huezinga, now Loria. I firmly believe that a solid ownership group could build a competitive and profitable team in Florida. Will they ever be a top 10 drawing team? Unlikely, but attendance is but on aspect of profitability. Concessions, sponsors, TV, merchandise all make up a significant portion of that pie.

Taken in isolation and strictly from a baseball perspective, what Florida did would seem reasonable. They got a tremendous return on mediocre, overpaid investments. That said, if your one of the 22k they got every night or one of the taxpayers who sponsored $360 million of their new stadium under the pretense that it was necessary for a more successful, competitive team, there's no way you can't feel betrayed.... again. There's simply no way that Loria is taking those dollars and re-investing them in player development or whatever to expedite a rebuild. He's padding the bottom line as he has for the last 15 years over 2 franchises.