View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 03:34 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I was thinking there is a bunch of old players on contract that were supposed to play this season but if the season gets cancelled there is a chance they retire

40 year old Martin Brodeur will be 41 come sept 2013
42 year old Teemu Selanne will be 43 come sept 2013
40 year old Jaromir Jagr will be 41 come sept 2013
40 year old Ray Whitney will be 41 come sept 2013
39 year old Daniel Alfredsson will be 40 come sept 2013

I'm probably missing a few but as you can see these aren't just any old players i'm talking about. The 5 players above are all undoubtably great players and will all be over 40 come september 2013. Notably the first 3 i think are all pretty legendary players who will be future hall of famers and will finish their careers with their names in nhl record books. If the lockout lasts all season we may never see the players play again
If the season is wiped it'll certainly make for an interesting off-season when they finally decide to have an NHL season again. Every team will likely have at least one or two players retire and likely several other fringe/marginal players who may have expired contracts and/or have moved on to other leagues so it should be a pretty active period where all the teams need to restock the shelves.

Just on the Oilers you have a half dozen guys that would have expired contracts... Khabi, Hordichuk, Jones, Petrell, Whitney, Sutton. How many would be back for sure and how many would be replaced?