11-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
To me, my priorities go (skip down a step if tied):
1) BPA
2) Top end skill (we have a lot of bottom6 guys but need more top6 skill guys)
3) Organizational needs (RW and LD and maybe another top6 C to not put eggs in one basket)

If we need to trade up for those, lets do it... but if we can be bright with those 2nd picks we may even score better.

The organization has done well picking guys that fell to third or fourth rounds but were expected to go much higher originally and fell due to "shiny new toy" end of the season risers pushing them aside (examples: Kosmachuk, Lowry, Telegin and Olsen were all considered late 1st-mid 2nd rounders at mid-season). If we could catch some early-mid 1st rounders that fall instead of taking a chance on a "shiny new toy" *cough* Sutter *cough* I don't think a trade up is needed... but may help!
Kosmachuk is the only one you listed that was considered a late 1st-mid 2nd rounder BTW. The others were all mid round projections. It's not always a good idea to select sliders either IMO. If we used that type of draft understanding then we probably would have draft Kabanov(2010) Pulkkinen(2010), Galiev(2010), Ambroz(2011), Ebert(2012), etc. I'm not saying that those players won't make the NHL either, but most fell due to character issues, which the Jets brass ranks very highly. All were considered 1st's-mid 2nd's at mid season during their draft years. I understand what you mean by the shiny new toy, but it's usually easier to evaluate a player when you've seen more of his work IMO.

BTW I was high on Kosmachuk long before we drafted him and really disliked the Sutter pick.

Last edited by Paradise: 11-15-2012 at 04:25 AM.