View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
will respond to rest of post soon, but this part is weird.

books are a fundamental component to the development of kids. a kid growing up without books is deprived. the childrens hospital of philadelphia, considering by most to be the number one childrens hospital in the world, has a program where every single child coming in for a routine well-child visit is given a book, with several minutes of a doctor's valuable time being spent on counseling the parents on the importance of reading to the child multiple times per week and then subsequently encouraging the child to read books on their own when age appropriate. they do the same thing at harvard. numerous studies have shown improved outcomes in standardized test scores and academic achievement in kids whose parents read them books from a very early age, before the kids can even speak (indepedent of other factors). they wouldnt waste their time and money on such programs if there wasnt hard data to back it up.

bottom line reading books to kids leads to improved academic outcomes. no studies have shown that video games do that.

i dont know what kind of video games you played that had such a large amount of reading, so i cant comment.

forgive me if incorrect, but are you a teacher? i seem to recall that vaguely.

also reading on this site pales in comparison to reading an actual decent book. if you consider this any sort of intellectual stimulation that i must disagree.
I agree with this, especially in early development stages (which is what you are referring to). I DO think video games have some merit, but they don't hold a candle to books.

And, as far as chess is concerned (you and Ogre brought this up earlier), the real version is superior to video game IMO because face to face interaction is much more important to developing lasting, real life social skills to that of virtual or social interaction on the internet. I know that communication in our world is changing and non face to face interaction will continue to increase. However, I think an emotional and social connection can be lost when children have most of their interaction through some online gaming chat room. So, with that in mind, board games that force face to face interaction are superior to online gaming IMO (at least in that respect).

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote