View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
not to speak for _illicit_ but I think his comment was not directed at you, but to fans in general that seem to project a player's upside right after the draft, rather than allow the player to develop and see what kind of player he can become, IN TIME.

Fans do this to everyone, but Isles fans are especially bad at this (probably because the team has sucked for so long that the draft is more exciting than the games, especially after November 16th (ie. when they are typically mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

There are MANY posts on this very board that were limiting Tavares' upside, even AFTER he played a year with the Islanders.

Also, as a general rule, I don't think draft position always related to upside. Sometimes, a sure-fire pick who'll make the NHL and never be more than a 2nd line support player can be a top ten overall YET a boom-or-bust type player might be a 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th rounder. It's impossible to say.

In Nelson's case, the first time I saw him play in college (was in his sophomore year) you can tell he had some pretty special tools, but had a long way to go in his development. He's starting to show what kind of player the NYI HOPED he might become one day, and he still has a ways to go, in my opinion. But he's looking like a lock for some NHL time sooner than later!
I see this a lot here. One guy in particular who gets killed on this board is Loic Leduc. He was taken in the 4th and he as well as Snow/the scouts were killed for this pick immediately after it happened. I know he's had a bad year to this point, but I still think it's extremely early to judge a 4th round pick, especially one that was clearly taken as a project(which IMO, considering how stocked this team is with talent, wasn't a bad move. Whether or not it was too early to take him is a different issue).

This team has a lot of players that project to be decent 2nd or 3rd pairing d-men, or solid 3rd line/decent 2nd line forwards. I had no problem with them taking a home-run swing with a guy like Leduc. If he doesn't pan out, no harm done... they only spent a 4th on him anyway.