View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I'm surprised Broda didn't sneak in there really. Not as surprised on Durnan, all things considered. But I'm surprised the group took Benedict over Broda. I didn't get the impression that Benedict was up in the Vezina or Gardiner stratosphere...I think all the talk about the 40's goalies pushed two of them off the cliff and allowed the guy with the best stats to slide up by default. I'm not overly excited about how that vote turned out to be honest, but as someone that also struggled with it, I can understand it to a point...
I originally had Broda over Benedict, but flipped them this round (ended up voting Benedict 4th and Broda 5th). I took comments about the talent pool during the Great Depression and World War 2 to heart. And while I think Broda and Benedict were both better in the playoffs than the regular season, I did decide that Benedict was more accomplished in the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post

With the inclusion of Benedict, what does it say about Percy Lesueur and Hugh Lehman? How far apart are they from him? Honest question, I don't know the answer to. I thought Lehman was the Vezina of the West, so to speak?
Lesueur was from an earlier and probably weaker generation; definitely a step down, hard to say how much. The MacLean's article (which I still haven't fully digested) definitely makes him look good though.

I actually think Lehman was Vezina and Benedict's equal in the regular season, but he had an Esposito-like way of blowing things in the finals. So it makes sense that he's behind them. Count me among those who will consider voting for Lehman the instant he's available though.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 11-15-2012 at 10:44 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote