View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
The Russians looked great in the second period, but outside of the first game they haven't put together a 60 minute effort. I am guessing that they might already be looking ahead to the actual tournament, which is understandable. Brossoit did look like a monster last night. I don't know what to make of him after last night and his poor performance in the summer challenge.

The Russian tactics have been quite effective, but unlike the OHL forwards the WHL seemed unable to generate any consistent chances. Clearly the Russians are a big part of that, but the WHL forwards outside of Shinkaruk and Reinhart looked far worse than their OHL counterparts.
It would be comforting to think that they were just looking ahead to the WJC, but what seems more likely is Canada is playing tough, sound defense, and the Russians haven't been able to do anything to overcome it. There is an obvious motivation issue, they are not fighting as hard as they could, and I always go back to what the coach demands of his players. I think Varnakov has failed to win their attention and respect, and their lackluster play is a by-product of that.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote