View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Boston will offer more than 4 mil a year if they want to retain him, Chiarelli gives all of his players raises and Horton makes 4 now.

Plus, Horton likely wont get to free agency to give the Leafs the opportunity. If Horton can prove hes healthy Chiarelli will try to re sign him asap. If Horton gets to free agency hes likely as good as gone. People would definitely overpay for a player like him.
Horton would certainly love to stay in Boston, and why shouldn't he? He has a good thing going there. But, assuming there's a season with all things being equal, Horton has a salary of 5.5mil this year. I highly doubt he wants to drop from that. Under the old CBA I'm certain he'd accept a 6 year front loaded contract from Boston for around that cap hit. 7m, 7m, 5m, 5m, 4m, 4m (5.33mil cap hit).

Now, under the new CBA, players are likely looking at a salary roll back. Horton may decide he doesn't want to take less than what he's worth now to offset that, who knows. In which case, he may demand a 5 year contract at around 5.75mil-6mil per season. This is all speculation on my part, but I feel upcoming UFAs will likely look to maximize contract values after this lockout to compensate for salary lost. I doubt they'll be as inclined to give out hometown discounts. Maybe Horton is different and this doesn't apply directly to him, but its certainly a trend I think we should all expect.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote