View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
BM67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm critical of Bower's high placement on past top 100 lists on this board too, but I think this is too far. He was a 3 time MVP of the AHL in an era where his only chance to play in the NHL was to beat out Toronto's existing starter in a 6 team league.

And when he platooned with post-prime Sawchuk, Bower usually badly outperformed Terry in both GAA and reconstructed save %

I did ask in a previous round what makes Bower's NHL career much better than Billy Smith's, though. I do think Bower's AHL dominance in the Original 6 adds to his resume, but how much?
Bower was not property of an NHL team for most of his AHL career. The Rangers traded for him, and Toronto claimed him in the Inter-League Draft.

Considering that the starting goalies in the NHL were 4-5 deep in future HHOFers, and the 5th-6th guy was usually pretty decent (Henry, Rollins, McNeil), it's not hard to see why nobody felt the need to trade for a goalie at the time. Even the Rangers probably wouldn't have if Rayner hadn't got hurt.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote