View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 11:30 AM
ganave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
-Also to add, it's a great deal harder for goalies to know where a newer players shot is going. I can usually read a shot coming off a experienced players stick, while noobs do all kinds of wonky stuff to let a shot go. So its not that easy to tell if they are going high, low in the first place, esp. when they are close to you. Most noobs will shoot only close because their velocity and accuracy are lacking. Its pretty much a guessing game whats going to happen.
Figure I'd jump in as a noob goalie...

I love it when the more experienced skaters in class are taking shots on the net. Sometimes I'll ask for a specific sequence like glove, blocker, 5 hole or two man breakaways or something.

Noob skaters are a different thing. Most of them are great, they'll work on something specific like wrist shots and getting some lift on them.

However, there will be some who skate up and try a slapshot at 5 feet out from the top of the crease in practice. At that point I don't really bother with anything aside from protecting myself. If I have time in the drill I'll skate out and do a quick poke check at the puck, but if not I'm more concerned with not getting injured. They usually wind up crashing the net.

About ducking headshots. A nice tip that I got from gsbb was that you can safely duck pucks that are at head-level. Obviously it is nice to get a glove on it to control the puck, but frankly I'd rather have the puck behind the net than trying to deal with an unpredictable rebound.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote