View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
lazerbullet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
It's definitely true that it usually took longer for O6 players to get a shot in the NHL. Very few 18, 19, and 20 year olds got a shot at the NHL at the time. But I don't see a reason why the best defensemen wouldn't have gotten a shot eventually and usually sooner, rather than later.
I believe many of you underestimate plain luck in players development. There are right environments and simply bad environments for development. There is a reason that teams like Columbus and NY Islanders can barely develop NHL talent despite drafting high every single year. Is it all about bad scouting? I really doubt. God knows how would some of those prospects do if drafted by a different team.

Or lets take Detroit. You know why Pavel Datsyuk was drafted? Hakan Andresson was scouting Dmitry Kalinin and simply noticed one skinny but skilled player on opposing team. I think he then saw Datsyuk two more times. Then Datsyuk gets drafted, comes over and is mentored by Igor Larionov. Datsyuk probably never gets drafted if not luck. How he would do on another team without great mentors? We never know that, but thanks to random stuff like this Pavel Datsyuk is one of the best two-way forwards of his generation and probably ends up in the Hall Of Fame.

Heck... even Lidstrom got drafted because someone told Detroit scout that there is dman on a local team, who almost never gets beaten in practice. That's how Lidstrom was discovered.

So all this "elite talent will shine no matter what" is very debatable. Being in the right place, at the right time can matter more than some of you suspect. Getting drafted by the right team, having good mentors, playing under right coach. Players can't control many things. You can have talent, you might be hardworking, but you end up in the organization that rushes you and you never reach your full potential. Or you might end up on a stacked team and play in limited role for the first 5 years of your career and still not reach your full potential. Or... you do. There are a lot of variables that players don't control.

But in the end... what matters is that having more teams gives opportunities to more players. And saying otherwise simply ignores the reality. Some of these players use the opportunity to the fullest. Sedins and Perry don't get a sniff of all that hardware playing for Pittsburgh for example. Tim Thomas never makes the NHL with 6 teams in it, ect.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote