View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I have been to Seattle dozens of times in my life - probably the American city I have visited most of any. I even went to a Memorial Cup tournament in Seattle in the mid-90s and saw the empty Key Arena as the Thunderbirds played in the tournament.

I have talked to sports fans and non-sports fans alike in Seattle and I have never seen much interest in hockey or the NHL. In an environment where they love football and basketball so much more, the NHL will be a money loser in this city.

Unless there is this huge hockey loving sub-culture that hides from me every time I visit, I just don't see it being any more successful than Nashville or Miami.
You haven't looked around that much. Here in Tacoma we have multiple men's leagues where regular joe's learn and play the game. If interest was tepid I could see one small league. Multiple decent sized leagues speaks to a hockey sub-culture that you aren't seeing. Both the Thunderbirds and the Silvertips are solid draws in their current arenas. They weren't going to draw in Key Arena as the old owner of the Supersonics had the arena configured to make it bad for hockey (one of the things that would be fixed if Key was to be used as a temp home for an NHL team).