View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
lazerbullet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think goalies are different because each team only used one starter. Each team in the O6 had 4 regular defensemen and a substitute, so there was more room for turnover.

Sure there are notable exceptions (Martin St Louis), but they are notable because they are exceptions.
Yes, you are probably right. But it doesn't change my main point. With 30 teams you have more opportunities for the players. And it's not just making the NHL, it's about getting quality ice time (opportunity) while you are already there.
Again, put Sedins and Perry in a league with 6 teams. Chances are they are stuck on the third line behind Crosby and Malkin. And a result they don't even have shot at the winning Art Ross or Hart. They are not legitimate contenders.

So saying that number of legitimate Norris candidates hasn't gotten larger is simply wrong. It obviously hasn't changed by 5 times, but odds that someone might get "lucky" are a lot bigger than in the 50s. Of course, most of the times the best players still take what belongs to them. I mean... in most cases Malkin beats Sedins for the Art Ross. But we can clearly see than sometimes one can get "lucky".

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote