View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
You haven't looked around that much. Here in Tacoma we have multiple men's leagues where regular joe's learn and play the game. If interest was tepid I could see one small league. Multiple decent sized leagues speaks to a hockey sub-culture that you aren't seeing. Both the Thunderbirds and the Silvertips are solid draws in their current arenas. They weren't going to draw in Key Arena as the old owner of the Supersonics had the arena configured to make it bad for hockey (one of the things that would be fixed if Key was to be used as a temp home for an NHL team).
Not sure if participation in men's leagues is a great indicator of NHL success. In Edmonton, we have thousands of kids who play soccer and many adults as well - both indoor and outdoor. The NASL pro team we have here does OK but I don't think they have ever gotten more than 2,500 to a game. Part of it is the stadium limitation on seating but, the interest in playing the game hasn't necessarily translated to ticket sales and interest in the pro team. Even when we bring in club teams from England or Brazil (Everton played River Plate from Argentina here a couple years back), there are thousands of empty seats at our stadium. Attendance at that game was 15,800 in a 60,000 seat stadium. Putting an MLS team here wouldn't work - the interest doesn't exist to support a team at that level. Millions of dollars would be lost trying to build a fan base - just like will happen in Seattle with the NHL.

I like Seattle a lot, it is a great city. I would like to see NHL hockey work there but, I just don't see the interest in the game that would be required to make it successful. Even in cities where attendance appears pretty good, a lot of tickets are given away or sold at such discounts that, even a sell-out crowd guarantees losses. NHL hockey needs to be important on the sporting landscape to have success and, I just don't see hockey being that important in Seattle.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 11-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.