View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
I get that but I take issue with the notion that goalies are unskilled lugs who would scarcely be able to play if they didn't have a plethora of equipment turning them from house leaguers into pros. I'm being hyperbolic of course, but so was the post I responded to (I hope).
No one is saying that they're unskilled lugs. However I see it said all the time that '80s goaltenders were all crap.....which is just as erroneous as calling today's goalies unskilled lugs. What IS being said is that today's goalies wouldn't be posting inflated save percentages if they weren't allowed to use equipment that blocks out the sun. Grant Fuhr was a highly skilled goaltendeder who, using the smaller equipment in the 1980s, was posting save percentages around .880 in his prime in the '80s (and as a washed-up part-timer a decade later he's posting save percentages over .900 using the monster equipment). The best goalies are still going to be highly skilled regardless of the scoring environment, they just won't have save percentages as gaudy as they do now.

Quote:
You can still score against the trap. The DPE was trap happy but they never called obstruction. Fast teams can beat the trap and put the trapping team at a severe disadvantage. The NHL should enforce obstruction more heavily because "interference" is given way too much leeway. But blocking shots and line matching aren't going away. I don't like watching a team trap, but I also don't think teams should neglect defense in order to score. Parity in the league means every team's structure is different, so a team like the one I support won't be able to score 3-3.5 gpg in a given season because the top end offensive talent isn't there. There's also the fact that teams that are accused of sitting on the leads and winning games rarely do so when it counts, which leads me to believe some people misrepresent the current state of NHL hockey.
Yes you can, the problem is teams take the easy way out and play a trapping team by.....using the trap themselves.

Obstruction goes right to the third point I made about not calling penalties as often as they did in the '80s. Penalty minutes per team per game in 1983-84? 18.5. Penalty minutes per team per game in 2011-12? 11.1. That's a HUGE difference.

Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority who thinks that the post season play we saw from the Kings represents some of the very best, most well rounded hockey possible. No one went all Lemiuex on everybody but they had balanced scoring through 4 lines, a star goaltender, a star defenseman, and two centers (one a star) who played at an extremely high level. They killed teams by running a very aggressive forecheck and anything that squeaked through the neutral zone was punished physically.
I loved the King's forecheck. Bottom line, though, was the Kings didn't put much effort into trying to score and relied on their hot goaltender to shut down the other team while they waited patiently for a screw-up to pounce on to get their goals.

Quote:
I agree that riding a hot goaltender into the playoffs occurs with some frequency, but the teams that make it without much offensive flair (if they do make it) all have strong defensive corps and forwards who excel on both sides of the puck. Again, you have back to back smythe winning goalies who deserved it, but the award could have went to a handful of deserving players in those runs. 2009-2010 was 2 full seasons ago. The only "boring" defensive team that did anything was the Canadiens who simply played to the strengths of their personnel. Certainly the Flyers and the Hawks exposed two 'average' goaltenders for what they were-average.
2009-10 was a fluky year though. The exception not the rule. And while Niemi wasn't spectacular for the Blackhawks he didn't really show any weaknesses in the post-season either. Even an average goaltender can get hot in the post-season even if "hot" for him means not having any really "bad" showings.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote