View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
I'm more specifically talking about the whole notion that the contract limits have to be put in place to protect owners from other owners. We already know that owners already have unwritten rules in place about poaching. 10 years until a player can get to free agency means a majority of players will never make it to FA. I think that the average career is 7 or 8 years in the NHL. 5 years ELC, with no arbitration rights, 5 year maximum contract lengths. I believe these provisions which have been there from day 1 have been a huge sticking point for the PA. If the owners threw all of these ludicrous demands out the window, we would see movement from the players.
And if Fehr would get off of de-linked salary, we would see movement from the owners.

There's your deal. Each side gives to get. Players will give more, but that's how it goes when you don't have the money. Then of course the owners will try to find any way possible to spend as much money as they can, as they do every summer, with new record dollar amounts every year, and the players will end up with another boatload of money.