View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
So you're saying it's not a replacement for Raw stats, it's just a simple measure of the value of those Raw stats based solely on league GpG and no other factors what so ever?
Good to have you back!

It is a replacement for raw stats in the sense that it takes the information contained in the raw stats, and adds more information. You really don't lose anything intra-season, and it allows better inter-season comparisons.

Quote:
You and your friends better get your vocabulary straight then because words like "replacement" and "alternative" sure seem to imply a different purpose and use.
Me and my friends? What with all the lolcats and great big bold fonts, you seem to be taking this quite personally. Chill.

Quote:
Ok listen, I was told that the criteria for AS's being more valuable in the Jagr/Gretzky case was because they were at different points in their career and it was unfair to Jagr because the tail end of Gretzky's prime fell in the higher scoring years and that it "pads" his stats too much. Somehow, this is more fair even though it's been well established that there is inflated value attached to DPE stats to which Jagr, in his prime, is getting this benefit over an about to retire Gretzky and I'm supposed to continue to view this as "fair"?
How much is the "inaccuracy" inherent to the DPE figures? How does this "inaccuracy" compare to that from the basic change in scoring level? If the latter is greater, then yes, AS are more fair in this case. You're making assumptions about the degree of these inaccuracies, so to speak. If you have something solid to show that the former is significantly greater than the latter, please share.

Based on your comments it would seem that AS should have something of a tier adjustment added to it. If that were done, this objection of yours would presumably disappear, and raw stats would be rendered even more obsolete for this type of analysis.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote