View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
The PA is harping on this as part of its PR war and apparently some are falling for it. It's really a minor issue compared to the money.

Expect the contracting issues to be settled in no time flat once an agreement is made on the economics. The league doesn't need all it is asking for on the contracting issues; realistically all that is required is something to stop the huge front-loaded deals. But with the PA still holding out on the money side, the league has no reason to give in on any of its demands in other areas.

Right now the deal is being held up by one thing: the PA's refusal to accept a deal that is linked to HRR. Linkage forces the owners and players to share the cost of lost revenue due to the lockout and share the risk of how fast HRR will grow. Fehr is playing a game of chicken, and so far it has worked - it has made the league move a long way in its offers while the PA hasn't really given much way at all. Expect Fehr to push the season to the brink before a deal gets made.
To the owners yes, but not to the players which makes the owners' position all the more puzzling. Assuming long term deals and expensive 2nd contracts count against the players' share (which they would), then those things won't have one iota of an effect on teams' bottom lines. I can understand wanting to end long term retirement contracts, but the rest of the stuff is silly.

The NHL's last offer was very close to the NHLPA's 3rd proposal from Oct. 18th in terms of dollars, but they're still miles apart in terms of the other stuff. If the NHL offered something close to the status quo on contract rules but with their last offer in terms of dollars I suspect we'd have seen a deal done. The fact that they're not even negotiating right now suggests to me that the NHLPA sees those issues as being very important.

Part of successful negotiating is figuring out what means a lot to the other side but doesn't affect you all that much and using that as a carrot to get what's important to you. The NHL has failed in this regard.