View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
As you say though after that top 3 it really gets murky. I'd probably agree with Lloris at 4, but after that Hart's up there with Adler, unless he keeps playing out of his mind from now on, Cech, Akinfeev, De Gea, Mandanda, Leno, MAtS, Rui Patricio, etc. Hard to really argue convincingly against any of those guys for number 5.
Cech is a guy I would have mentioned, for sure, but he doesn't seem to pop up much in the discussion. Maybe I'm a bit out of the loop regarding him.

But I agree that after thinking about it, it's a lot harder for me to rank all these goalies than it's with hockey, and maybe there really is just very little between whoever one has at #4 to #10+, so I can see why one would not regard it as too much of a stretch. Interesting how this turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Neuer is a hell of a lot better goalkeeper than Joe Hart. I think he's the best in the world. His distribution is very good, shot stopping excellent, has great instincts.
I didn't comment on Hart in order to get to brag about Neuer eventually, but as we're there already... I know I wouldn't swap him for any goalie - and that includes a prime-aged Oliver Kahn. Neuer has certainly had a bit more blunders than expected from a "best in the world" in the past 18 months, so I wouldn't disrespect anyone for not giving him that title just yet, but the adjustment from looking exceptional facing a huge number of shots to having to make the 1-2 saves behind a usually dominant Bayern team possession-wise was going to be a tough one. As you mentioned, he has great instincts, and he has looked at the art of goaltending in other sports (I know he mentioned handball, not sure about hockey) trying to find ways to play certain situations as efficiently as possible.

His distribution is outstanding. I can't remember if I've evern seen goalies throwing the ball with speed to the middle line hitting players in full stride as he does regularly. Him being so good with the ball on his feet is also a tremendous asset, especially for a team relying on possession that much.

I'm so happy our board went over van Gaal and our ultra-section fans' heads' in bringing the lad over.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote