View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
KevFu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
I'm not trying to defend the guy, but, as an NL East fan (Phillies) I watched the Marlins make their biggest push (by far) in FA last season and their fanbase responded by giving them, I believe, the worst turnout in the season of a new stadium for a franchise in history.

Now, this situation more than likely would have occurred whether or not Miami's stadium was filled to capacity or as empty as it was, but, I certainly imagine it makes it easier for an owner to dismantle a team when he sees no correlation between high payroll and high ticket sales.
The fan turnout definitely sucked:
In 2001, when Pittsburgh opened their new park, the Pirates hadn't had a winning season in nine years.
The team lost 93 games the year before, didn't add anyone in the offseason, and the Pirates drew 30,430 per game while losing 100 games.

Miami had 5 winning seasons (and a WS title) in the previous nine seasons; spent a ton of money on to improve a 90-loss team from the year before; and drew 27,401 a game while losing 93 games.

Worse team, worse expections, better attendance in Pittsburgh. So yes, the fans weren't very good in supporting the team compared to others.

But I don't think that excuses what Loria did. He's still a great satan for killing baseball in a second city.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote