View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 04:29 PM
zytz
lumberjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I'm not too educated on this topic so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm under the impression that while alternative energy is neat and Eco-friendly and all that, there isn't much practicality to it. Again, just what I've heard but I hear that Solar and Wind Power can't replace coal and natural gas. It's too expensive and we'd need miles and miles of windmills and/or Solar Panels to adequately replace natural gas and coal.
Return on investment for most renewable sources isn't nearly as high as with fossil fuels... especially true when you consider the complete lack of infrastructure behind these new sources, and the massive infrastructure that exists to produce and deliver oil, coal, and gas.

If there were an already-existing cost-efficient deployment method for renewable energy technologies I suspect we would see a lot more of them in everyday life; currently though I think the barrier to entry is just too high.

Wind Power is actually catching on here in Indiana, the closest one to me, when fully complete is expected to be able to generate enough energy to power up to a quarter million homes. That sounds like a lot, but it will also be one of the largest wind farms in the entire world...

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote