View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
If you mean who was more valuable from '91-99, to me it's clearly Jagr. Adjusted plus-minus and even strength points are likely substantially more in Jagr's favor than adjusted points are. So it was an older Gretzky, who abandoned defense and didn't have the strength to play a possession game, versus a one-man wrecking crew who was skating through whole teams and was could only be stopped by 2-3 guys hooking and holding the whole shift. Is that enough follow up conversation for you?
No, actually it isn't and this should have been said at the time instead of simply presenting the AS's values as the answer which IS exactly what you and other did! TO WHICH MY POINT MOST DEFINITELY STILL STANDS!!!
Jagr was not a "one-man wrecking crew" for all 9 seasons in question, nor was Gretzky an older player who abandoned defense for all 9 either.
What you're describing is what happened in the last 4-5 years, not the first 4-5 years.

The way I see it is that Gretzky was a better and more valuable player in the last 3-4 years than Jagr was in the first 3-4 years.
They go back and forth pretty even in the middle leaving us 2-3 years of higher play from each to compare (Gretz in the early 90's vs Jagr in the late 90's) and I don't see the same gap there that you do apparently and I certainly do not see that gap, if one really exists, having enough value to overcome Gretzky's superiority in his late years vs Jagr's early years.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 11-15-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote