View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 05:55 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'm disgusted with both sides in this lockout, however, I have a bigger problem with the owners expecting the players to accept all of their proposals with no interest in real negotiation; and expecting the players to save them from themselves. We've gone around and around on discussions surrounding contracts and the fact that the owners spent like drunken sailors up until the moment the lockout took effect. If the owners truly felt that salaries had gotten out of control and that they couldn't afford to continue on, then why go insane with signing players at inflated contract values?

I'm not convinced that teams like Minnesota didn't act in bad faith with the Parise/Suter contracts. If they entered into those contracts with no intention of ever paying out the negotiated amount, then they don't deserve my sympathy or support.

The ownership group wants change and wants it now, and wants everything their way. Period. The players have agreed to 50%/50% revenue sharing (which is the right number), but have offered to compromise and get there in a couple of years instead of immediately. Apparently compromise is of no interest to Bettman & Co. If that's the case, screw 'em.
I hear what you're saying and I agree with you, but on the same token once deals like that became precedent players who wanted them were usually able to get them.

I still don't see the need to cap contract length at 5 years, maybe something longer sure but there are two type of long term deals. There are deals like Mike Richards' where he forgoes some of his potential money in exchange for long term security, versus deals like Hossa, Pronger, Luongo, where there are artificial years designed to allow cap circumcention.

All things considered I agree with you to an extent, but I think players and agents bear some of the responsibility for the contract situation getting out of control.