View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I have been to Seattle dozens of times in my life - probably the American city I have visited most of any. I even went to a Memorial Cup tournament in Seattle in the mid-90s and saw the empty Key Arena as the Thunderbirds played in the tournament.

I have talked to sports fans and non-sports fans alike in Seattle and I have never seen much interest in hockey or the NHL. In an environment where they love football and basketball so much more, the NHL will be a money loser in this city.

Unless there is this huge hockey loving sub-culture that hides from me every time I visit, I just don't see it being any more successful than Nashville or Miami.
And there's one other thing you're missing too, and this has been discussed before here in this thread, and that is the REGIONAL draw a Seattle team would generate. A Seattle team would likely draw fans in from Portland, Spokane, Boise, Anchorage, and points in between, not to mention all the fans from B.C. and Alberta who would travel down for games involving the Canadian teams.

And frankly, Seattle has a much better hockey culture now that it did 20-some years ago when they had the Memorial Cup here.