Old
11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I disagree. Cabrera had a very very good season. It's absolutely reasonable that he was in the conversation (and somewhat defensible that he won). I still think Trout did more in a more impressive fashion from a more impressive position, and that Cabrera got too much weight put on the triple crown as a somewhat arbitrary thing (which I only have a problem with insofar as I have problems with batting average and rbi as valuable stats), but I don't think it's fair to say that Cabrera wouldn't be in serious consideration without the glitz of the triple crown.
I don't think people are seeing how much better statistically Trout is over Cabrera, and how Cabrera's gap offensively is not that large to justify an MVP-award. This was a travesty.

In before, I am called a nerd.

Credit to Nate Silver, he's a nerd

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...medium=twitter

I think, everyone will clearly agree Trout was the much better overall player than Cabrera when you take into consideration base-running, fielding, and offense.

Base-running:

-Trout, successful on 49 of 54 stolen base attempts, one of the highest percentages ever for a player who attempted to steal so many times.

-Trout contributed about 12 additional runs on the basepaths when compared with an average runner. Cabrera, by contrast, cost the Tigers about three runs on the bases.

Fielding:

-Ultimate Zone Rating, estimates that Trout saved the Angels 11 runs with his defense in the outfield. Cabrera, a clumsy defender at third base who is more naturally suited to play first base, cost the Tigers 10 runs with his.

Between his defense and his base running, therefore, Trout was about 35 runs more valuable to the Angels than Cabrera was to the Tigers.

Offensively:

-Batting average? .330 to .326 is not that much of a difference. Just like people who favor Trout will barely use his .OBP of .399 to Cabrera's .393.

-Of the 159 home runs hit at Comerica Park this season, for example, about 20 or 25 were not hit deep enough to leave the field at Angel Stadium, according to ESPN’s Home Run Tracker. Another 15 or 20 would have been borderline cases.

-RBI's? Much of the difference simply reflects the fact that Cabrera hits third in the batting order, and had more opportunities to hit with runners on base. His 89 R.B.I.’s with runners in scoring position came in 205 plate appearances, a rate of 0.43 R.B.I.’s per opportunity. Trout’s 53 R.B.I.’s came in just 135 opportunities, since he is the Angels’ leadoff hitter. That yields a similar rate of production: 0.39 R.B.I.’s per plate appearance with runners in scoring position.

-Trout was very good when leading off the inning, hitting .339 with a .398 on-base percentage. (He also stole 16 bases with nobody out.) Cabrera hit .301 with a .342 on-base percentage in leadoff situations. That counteracts much of the advantage from Cabrera’s superior performance with runners on base.

The Triple-Crown:

-Cabrera would have also won it in 2008, so it's not that historic. This is more a timing-type of thing.

Tigers Made the Playoffs; Angels did not:

-But the Angels won more games (89) than the Tigers (88), missing the playoffs because they played in a harder division. Trout, moreover, began the year in the minors; the Angels went 81-58 in games in which he participated, equivalent to their winning 94 games over a full season.