View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
I actually remembering hearing about the 120M budget around the same time that we locked up Bautista long-term. It's actually quite admirable that Anthopolous has had that kind of budget for so long but did not (pardon my french...) blow his wad prematurely. He waited for a good time and he took it.

I think the extra money that we have on the budget will probably stay empty. We may need the flexibility for a mid-season move, and we also might need that money to stay competitive with Josh Johnson's agent if he has a good season.
Yes, we had heard that the payroll could "eventually" get to 120M... but it was never clear when that would be and I don't think anyone expected it to be this season. In fact, Shi Davidi was doing his salary projections for the Jays this season and figured Jays may only have 10-15M to play around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpleafan View Post
Dont know if its been posted but,
@Ken_Rosenthal: #BlueJays fans: Teams prefer to go into seasons with MORE than five starters. Again, Jays want one more.

who yall think it could be?
Not surprising. Been saying Jays still need another starter... at least one with options anyways. They NEED to have depth -- cannot go into season relying on your 5 guys to stay healthy all year long. Don't have much to call-up either other than maybe Jenkins and McGuire (UGH to both) and possibly Nolin, but he just reached AA late into the season. Pitchers will most likely have to pass through Buffalo now to reach majors.

I don't think it has to be a particularly established major leaguer either but somebody who is ready or near ready with a moderate amount of upside. If you can get a guy that's only 1 or 2 seasons into his big league career and has options left, that makes sense too.

Oh and this should kill any speculation of JJ potentially being a trade bait (lets face it, Jays at this point probably wouldn't even entertain the idea):

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
On #BlueJays: Anything is possible, but team did not get J. Johnson to flip him. Reality is, Jays still need - and want - one more starter.