View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Scion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
When I said Cabrera would be in contention, I meant with respect to the fact that he's in the group of people at the top of the list who aren't so far off the lead that they can't garner votes.

I do still think Trout should've won for all the reasons you stated, but while Cabrera might have had multiple factors working against him this isn't a travesty to the level of, say, Maury Wills over Willie Mays or Juan Gonzalez over Alex Rodriguez. Or even (and I know it's going to sound like blasphemy to say it) Justin Morneau over Derek Jeter or David Ortiz.
Cabrera was a deserving MVP candidate, but that is it, Mike Trout was in a class of his own this year. Frankly, no one else deserved to be in the conversation with him.

As for the aforementioned examples, with the exception of the Morneau victory, the writers association had far less information back then, and sabre metrics were nowhere near as wide-spread. So while those decisions are similarly baffling, they are understandable. This decision on the other hand is just mind boggling, not Morneau 2006 bad, but bad nonetheless.