View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I don't see the problem in discussing ways to potentially improve them.
Absolutely. But to improve something you must first have a firm grasp on its weaknesses. Suggesting a weakness isn't enough, the suggestion has to be supported.

Quote:
My problem when using these stats to compare players from season to season based on an adjustment to the league average goals is that they have no idea how the increased difficulty would hurt the players on an individual level.
Yeah, that's the tier adjustment that's been discussed. That and the lack of a league quality adjustment (which is arguably the same thing I suppose) are the biggest issues.

Quote:
How much that could throw off the numbers? I have no idea, but it seems like a pretty big sticking point to me. I could very well have no idea what I'm on about.
No, you're quite right. But you're also right that we don't know how much it throws off the numbers. Which means the frequent claims that this makes AS fatally flawed are currently unsupportable. That's one of the biggest issues in this thread - assumptions about the severity of certain issues, assuming that any potentially small issues is a big problem.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote