View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Mark Recchi in a recent TSN article

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409406

Quote:
"My advice," Recchi told Kevin Paul Dupont of The Boston Globe, "is that the longer it goes, the worse (the offer) is going to get (for the players)."
Quote:
As part owner of the WHL's Kamloops Blazers - his former junior team in his hometown - Recchi also understands the wants and needs at each side of the bargaining table. "Hey, I'm an owner, too, so I see both sides," he told The Globe. "We lose money on our team, and obviously that's not the same, the money's not nearly as significant as in the NHL, but the business dynamics are similar. We've lost money every year we've owned it."
Quote:
"The longer they're out, the revenues are going to go down and down," he told The Boston Globe. "Corporate sponsors aren't going to be lining up...so there goes that money. The schedule isn't going to be 82 games, I don't think, at this point. That's more money lost. So, how are you going to get a better deal? Personally, I think the best time is now."
Quote:
"But look what happened, the players always get their money. They're always going to get paid, no matter what. Look at that last deal. We ended up with the cap and everyone thought it was a bad deal. But it ended up great, right? No matter what the system is, or has been, the players get their money. No matter what the contract, the owners always find a way to pay them more. That's why I say, get a deal and get back in there...the money's always there."

Well said Mark

-Recchi also comments on Paul Kelly's ouster and how thats impacted the current situation as well as the idea of being "made whole".

Quote:
Recchi also expressed his shock regarding the news three years ago that the players fired then-executive director Paul Kelly.

"A dark time," Recchi told The Globe. "And it has been frustrating to see how it's played out, obviously. If Paul had stayed on the job, I don't think you would have seen this happen. The two sides would have started talking long before, maybe a year sooner (in 2011), and not with two or three months to go before (the CBA) expired. There would have been something in place, absolutely. And now here they are, trying to get to 50 per cent and also trying to make everyone whole. Well, you know, with the escrow we paid, I know I wasn't made whole over the last few years I played. That's just the way it was and we accepted it."

Last edited by joshjull: 11-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote