Old
11-15-2012, 11:04 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
That's the joke.

I was exposing a terrible method of evaluation. Just because there aren't a lot of something in the game, it doesn't mean those types are less likely to make the NHL.
Actually it does. The lets say the average male is 5'-9.5". 1 standard deviation from the mean height (average) is about 2.8 inches. 1 Standard deviation is about 68% of the total population. So 68% of the population is between 5-6.5 and 6 feet. If you take 68% from 100% you get 32% falls out of that range. Half of that will be less than 5"-6.5" and half of that will be above 6 feet so 84% (68+16) of the male population is under 6 feet tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

If we go by this previous post here, we find that only 26% of NHL defensemen are 6 feet and under, yet this accounts for 84% of the general male population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Well there's 297 defenseman who played in the NHL and 75 are 6' or under (26%). Of those 75, only 18 of them are at, or over, 205 pounds.

So actually it seems like those type of players are exceptionally rare. Of those, only 9 played over 20 minutes per game:

Kevin Shattenkirk
Tim Gleason
Justin Faulk
Drew Doughty
James Wisniewski
Francois Beauchemin
P.K. Subban
Barret Jackman
Matthew Carle

Great players absolutely, but those are the guys that made it and are the best of the best (using ice time as a benchmark).

Like I said, it's totally possible that he makes it happen, but it is very hard to make it as a 6' or smaller defenseman (26% of total population): and weight doesn't really seem to make any difference.
So, yes, being shorter does hinder your chances in the NHL as a defensemen.

Note: I don't think it will hinder Reilly too much. He is the real deal. I am merely warming up for my all-night study session for my calculus exam in the morning by pointing out how illogical your statement is.

Last edited by BudMovin*: 11-15-2012 at 11:16 PM.
BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote