View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
Ahh I see... Would this be closer if it was Rafalski vs. Foote?
No because Foote was a defensive dman. A better comparison for Foote would be Scott Stevens (who would win because he's one of the toughest SOB's to play against and also was better offensively).

I'm trying to think of a better comparison for Rafalski on the Avs, maybe Sandis Ozolinsh though Ozolinsh had sometimes suspect defence and shorter NHL career though it's not like Rafalski was defensively elite (did play in a defensive elite and later an elite puck possession system).

Thing is that Rafalski was a top 2-3 dman but not a no1 and behind Niedermayer/Stevens on those NJ teams.

Off the top of my head, Mathieu Schneider in that era might be a good comparison with Raflakski.

I'm not really gonna look at Norris voting btw especially when the 2000's were major East Cost + Detroit bias compared to Blake's LA/SJ/Col. I would say Blake is an eventual (not first ballot because of the awesome 2013 class) HOFer while Rafalski probably doesn't get into the HOF (I would personally not have a problem with it but their cafeteria's more stringent). One thing I will say about Blake, his defensive ability due to his size was a bit overrated but I'd still take him over Rafalski.

I wish these polls would happen on the history of hockey forum which is a bit more free of 16 yr olds who never watched or don't remember 90s or early 00s hockey. Obviously Rafalski's peak happened later than Blake's so someone who's 16 watching both might say Rafalski's better.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote