Thread: Prospect Info: Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 11:30 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
He absolutely has that top end speed, he just didn't really put it to use last night. When he feels the need to go...well, how about I'll just show you:

Skip to 00:40 in this video. Keep in mind, this is a couple of days after coming back from his ACL injury. He made 3 guys at centre ice look like they were actually pylons.

And then skip to 3:17. The acceleration he exhibits on this play is simply unreal, and that while controlling the puck like it's on a string.
Thank you for posting that, the flick reinforces his decision making abilities, and his offensive flair. The only portion where he displayed his top speed was him blowing by 3-4 pylons who'll never make it to the NHL, though, so it's a bit deceptive. I'm more convinced that he's a very elusive player, but still not sold on his top speed (ie hustling back to defensive zone to prevent odd man rushes, or breakaways).

I have very little doubt that his IQ and elusivity will translate very well to the NHL (these alone will already make him a very good offensive defensemen), but still not sold on the top speed, if he has to go up against the faster wingers in the NHL (and not WHL pylons). It'll probably take a season or two after he cracks the Leafs lineup, and adjusts to the speed of the NHL for us to find out how fast he really is, compared to men.