Thread: Summit Series
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Mats86

vCash: 500
After reading Brad Park's new book and gaining some inside insight, I hauled out my DVDs and re-watched Game 7. For first time in ten years. Park said this series was a war! Mentioning some of dirty tactics the Soviets played, I wanted to view a game again in different view. Yes, the refereeing was shoddy in Moscow. CCCP scored two powerplay goals in this game which came off of clear dives. On the plus side, without it Henderson's solo dash for a goal with 2 minutes left, would not have meant anything.

Canada had great chemistry in Russia. The line of Henderson/Clarke/Ellis was outstanding. Espo was primarily between Roadrunner and Parise. Occassionally doubled shifted between Peter Mahovlich and Goldsworthy. The third line was NY Rangers Ratelle and Gilbert with Dennis Hull. Rod Gilbert was outstanding in this game. Clarke and Ellis main penalty killers, Espo and Parise the second unit. Unimaginable how many minutes Espo logged in these games.

On defense Canada when with familar pairings. Montreal's Savard and Lapointe, Black Hawks' Stapleton and White, Park with Bergman. Unimagineable how good this team would be with Orr and Park pairing up. Tony O played a great game. If not for lopsided officials this would be 4-1 and not close. Sinden paced about 20 miles in this game, back and forth behind Canada's bench.

I have no doubt, with Sinden coaching Park, this series led to "The Trade", a couple of years later involving Park and Espo. Park was taking regular shift, and powerplay and penalty kill. Sinden knew Park well after this and said in his book he wanted top defenseman in game because Orr he thought was likely done.

Last edited by Mats86: 11-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote