View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Whydidijoin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
What is wrong with the math? So I did a little rounding and used feet and inches instead of just inches. You said height didn't factor into chances of making it into the NHL. I merely provided statistics to show you that it does play a bigger role than you think. If it didn't most of the D would be under 6 feet tall, since most of the population is. It is not strength, it's the reach that makes height so important. Tyler Myers is the second tallest guy in the league but I bet his 5-5 teammate Gerbe crushes him in the weight room and also would win a corner battle. Also, I said Reilly will be a stud and the height will not hinder him too much. Yes people grow after they turn 18. I went from 5-7 to 6 feet in college (probably a statistical outlier).
Pretty much everything you did with the math was wrong. Used standard deviations wrong. The samples for the averages you used made no sense. Did the averages wrong. Used arbitrary cutoffs and groups. Etc., etc.

None of those statistics even proved that it is harder to make the NHL as a smaller guy. It just said there are less of them, which could be for a ton of reasons.

Of course when you compare two players who are over a foot in height apart there are going to be reach advantages. But nothing significant when comparing a 6'1 or higher defenceman and the average player.

Reach for a really tall guy can be an advantage, if utilized properly, much like advantages that small guys get over big guys.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote